Thursday, August 21, 2014

Prince George - Day 19

DAY 19


LOCATION: We are just short of Prince George, BC. Went 60 miles riding today and only 2 miles walking. We saw more salmon today, they are such an amazing thing to see!

WEATHER: The weather is much colder now. A couple days ago we had the AC on in the motor home and last night we had the heat on. It is very cool in the mornings and evenings. We understand it will continue to get colder. We still haven’t encountered rain while riding (I do believe God had a hand in that) but we have seen some at night. Still quite windy when riding; usually in our face!

ROADS: The traffic has diminished greatly since we got past McBride. Lots of long gradual hills both up and down. We are having a tough debate over what we dislike the most, the hills or the wind. I think for me it’s the hills and for Mike it’s the wind. Not much we can do about either except the wind doesn’t seem as strong earlier in the morning so we try to get going as early as possible: Sometimes as early as 6:30 AM.
Pictures: It has been disappointing sharing pictures that don't do justice to what we are seeing. There is so much that is beyond description that the camera doesn’t convey. Sorry. Mike has taken more pictures than I, but we can’t upload them to his computer (no cord). Maybe we’ll do a slide show at the Party of the Century!

STORY: I have a story to tell you. Yesterday while watching the salmon running in Velamount, we went by a bike rental store. Mike and I thought we should probably take advantage of the opportunity to see if we can get our bikes checked out; everything tight that should be tight, chains greased, etc….so we stopped in and met the owner Shawn. We and asked if he could check out our bikes and give them a tune up, he said sure and give him 45 minutes and come back. So we left and walked around. While walking around we came across a wood carver using a chain saw on aspen logs. He has just finished about an 18” bear. We thought it was very cute and maybe we should buy it and bring it back and auction it at the Party of the Century! So, after Mike and I picked up the bikes (Shawn had cleaned them, checked them over, and greased the gears telling us all was OK except there was something funny with my derailer. Not wanting to appear smart I asked what is a derailer and he said that’s what shifts the gears. Anyhow, I mentioned I had taken a couple of falls, but the bike seemed to work OK after that and I never use that half of the gears anyway. So, it should be OK for the rest of the trip. So Mike and I are back in the campground talking to Tim, and I said, "What do you suppose he charged for the work on the bikes?" Tim said, "$20!" Believe it or not, Tim guessed right and hit the number on the head (which I thought was a more than reasonable price). So then 
I said to Tim, "OK Mr. Price-is-Right (telling him about the bear carving we were considering buying) how much do you suppose they want for it?" (ha, I thought I had him). He said, “$80.00” and was right on the penny AGAIN! GRRRRRRRR!!



THANK YOU: We’d like to all thank our wives. We know what a hardship we've put them under to be home alone without us for a month! We’re sure it’s almost been un"bear"able (that reminds me we still haven’t seen a bear yet in the wild - or anywhere else I guess). Anyhow, THANK YOU Sandi, Debbie and Nancy. We could not have been able to do this without your support. We love you!

~Chuck

No comments:

Post a Comment