Monday, August 4, 2014

First Days of the Trek

Day 1 - August 1   
Fairly uneventful. With much confusion and changes every minute, we got loaded and left Milltown (Bradwell Enterprise) at approximately 10:15 AM. We drove to North Branch and filled the tanks with gas. One tank leaked out almost 2-3 gallons of gas and Tim (Bradwell) wanted to turn around and go back to Milltown to check it out. Somehow Mike talked him out of it and we continued Northwest.

We arrived at the border around 7:30 PM. There was about a 20 minute line of cars and we knew when we arrived we would get pulled over. We had a motor home, a trailer behind it, and guys that had been pulled over before and one that had never been to Canada (Tim). After 10 minute conversation with the checkpoint guard he wished us well on our trek and sent us through. THE SPIRIT WAS WITH US!! 

We drove into Canada to the visitors center. It was closed for the night. There was a young man sitting out front (looked like a homeless man) front and we asked him where to go and he gave us GREAT DIRECTIONS to Altona. The SPIRIT'S PRESENCE again! We arrived in Altona and quickly found a campground and got checked in and hooked up and it was now 9:45PM. OFF TO BED!

Day 2 - August 2 
We woke up around 6:00 AM. Mike and I went for a walk to McDonalds (yes, there was one in Altona (but no "dollar menu") and had breakfast. Walk was 2.5 miles. We then got on the bikes and took off and rode 53 miles. Most interesting was the farm countryside. Every field was full of maturing crops but we never once saw a fence! Anywhere! We then arrived in Winkler, Mike and I walked 5 miles. We then found a campground and settled down. The temp is high, around 80, and we are now going to have dinner (on the grill) and hit they hay!

No signal so I can’t communicate right now. Hopefully tomorrow.

Day 3 - August 3 
Another beautiful day. We started in Winkler and Mike and I went for a ride. A story for ya: When Mike and I had our bikes they put clips on the pedals so our shoes were locked to the pedals which gives you full rotation effort in your pedaling. Frank, the owner of the bike store, told us that most people fall once 'cause they forget their feet are locked in and they brake then fall over. But usually only DO THAT ONCE. Anyhow, I made a wager with Mike that he’d fall before I did. Long story short, Mike fell not just 1st but he fell 3 times before we took off on our journey. Now the sad ending. Today, Mike fell again next to the camper but I caught him. SO, we were riding in Winkler this morning and I came to a stop sign and I usually glide on through, but there was a car that cut right in front of me and I had to stop. Guess what - my feet were locked in and I went BOOM….and IT HURT. I fell on my left shoulder and felt like I did when I tore my rotator cuff. I also skinned up my leg big time. It gets worse. Later that day we stopped at Lake Manitoba lake so I could take a picture of Mike on the lake which is bigger than Lake Superior (I think). Long story short, I fell again, sliding on the gravel (did I mention we spent over 40 miles on gravel roads all day), hit the same shoulder and tore my leg up worse (and my elbow too). Soon I will send pictures of my knee and of Mike on the shore of Lake Manitoba for Paula to post. We made 60 miles riding today and 1 mile walking. Tim has been awesome as our chief cook and driver...also FIXIT man (and we've had lots that needing fixed). That’s another story.  

PS: We stayed in Washburn Sunday night, just south of Lake Manitoba about 10 miles.

Day 4 - August 4
Looks like heavy storm clouds to north; fortunately they blew off East. Mike and I rode to the Lake again at 630 AM (about 15 miles). Back in campground; I walked 5+ miles and did my praying. Had lots to pray. Both in thanks and in petition for us and all of you.

~Chuck

No comments:

Post a Comment