Saturday, August 2, 2014

And it Begins!

August 1, 2014. Chuck and Mike's adventure begins. "Alaska Or Bust" - the letters say it all. They're off and running folks! May luck and good fortune be on their side and may they have a fun and safe journey. 

In July of '93 I hiked for one month on the PCT (Pacific Crest Trail) California section. It was one of the coolest things I have ever done. Anyone who embarks on travel by foot, or even bike (their own power of motion) are strong willed and strong of heart. It takes a lot of preparation, stamina, and guts to accomplish such a feat. Especially when your older than "30 something". When I hiked the PCT I was 23, and it was challenging at that age. Plus, I didn't have the bike element. A bike doesn't make the journey any easier, this I promise. 

In the upcoming days and weeks Mike and Chuck will experience weather, people, animals, body changes, mental and physical challenges, who knows what else. One cannot plan for everything, but you can sure try. Through reading and personal conversations with the Yosemite Park Rangers, I thought I had planned for everything. But I hadn't planned for record Sierra snowfall that spring, a killer on the loose (I'll save that story for cocktail hour), or marmots and mule deer that LOVED the salt on my clothing and STOLE valuable articles when I hung them out to  dry at night. Point is, you cannot plan for it all, which leads to great stories. And there's no doubt there will be stories. Amazing, funny, and maybe even a few nerve-wracking stories. It's all part of the adventure. I look forward to sharing their adventure with you in the upcoming weeks. Here's to successful communication. Cheers!

~Paula Elert






2 comments: