Sunday, August 10, 2014

73 Miles Today - Day 7

Friday, August 8th - Day 7

Today we walked and biked the farthest in one day yet -  72.7 miles. 
60.2 riding and 12.5 walking. WOW! We are bushed tonight but very happy we have almost completed 400 miles as we finish our first week. 

It’s Friday, and we entered Saskatoon today. It’s a big city! We are camped, the guys just went to shower. I already did (1st in 3 days). Washing clothes will be something we have to figure out soon. Our clean clothing supply is diminishing.

Saw 3 deer crossing a river this morning about 6:30 AM, that was neat. We got a nice picture, which I promise to send as zoo as I can figure out my sending issues.So one calamity we had today - when Mike and I set out at 6 AM we went into a big valley with a bridge at the bottom. It was slow downhill to start, but then we reached 30 MPH on (without peddling). I was scared to death!! I gripped my handle bars with all the strength I had and it was like isometrics I figure, because now I can hardly grip anything.  

After my first 3 falls (make that final 3 falls) I realized that the first fall, which happened because my feet were locked into the pedals and I had to stop to miss a truck that turned right in front of me, was something I can hopefully eliminate in the future. My next two falls were pure accidents slipping on a dirt road. They were pure accidents I can’t avoid - this scares me BIG TIME. Due to that realization I now fear falling again (especially going down a hill at 30MPH when who knows what might happen). That’s why I figure my hands have gone almost numb (from gripping the handle bar so tightly) and I can’t grip anything tonight. Mike doesn’t have that fear yet and is riding like he’s in a race.  

PS: Did I mention that riding up the hill in the valley after going down was a real struggle.  Over a mile of what seemed like straight uphill. This was something I couldn’t have done a month ago without walking. Must be getting stronger?

PSS: I have another picture to send. Mike took it with me sitting in the bike trailer as it is raining out and I can’t smoke in the motorhome and I wanted my cigar and glass of wine. Oh well.  

Another important note: with over 63 days of riding we haven’t encountered rain yet. The Spirit is looking over us.  

Another word of thanks: Larry Wallin built a bike carrier in the trailer the day before we departed. It has been a bike saver. Thank you Larry.

Good night to all and God Bless you.

Please continue to pray for us. We are praying for all of you.

~Chuck

No comments:

Post a Comment